Monday, August 3, 2009

Farewell and Thank You Tita Cory


I know there will be a lot blog posts on the Internet that will talk about you, will thank you, will praise you, and will give their final tribute for you. I know I am just a nobody, an ordinary Juana dela Cruz, but nonetheless, as a citizen of this country, I would just like to pay my final respect to you, President Corazon Aquino.


First of all, I would like to thank you for being a principled Filipino. Thank you for restoring democracy in the country. As a young Filipino during the 1986 EDSA revolution, I don't have the slightest idea of what was going on during that time. I don't know why you, my parents, and millions of other adult Filipinos risked their lives and limbs by going out in EDSA during that tumultuous time. But 23 years after that peaceful People Power revolution, my son and I are savoring the benefits of this freedom and democracy which you have fought for and restored. Second, thank you, President Aquino, for bringing pride to the Filipina. You are the first Filipina to be the President of the Philippines, and the first woman leader in Asia. You have shown the male-dominated Philippine society and government, as well as the world, that Filipino women are more than just housewives and second-class citizens; that we Pinays, can be at par with our male counterparts in manning and managing a complicated institution such as the Philippine government. You have proven your worth as President by withstanding all the coup d' etats, and by showing your detractors that despite your being a woman, you have the will and determination of a true leader, defending your people against those who wish to sow fear and terror. Lastly, thank you, President Aquino for showing us the importance of having faith in God and faith in your people. Thank you for showing us that prayers and a strong faith in God can truly bring miracles in our lives. Thank you for having the same conviction as your husband Ninoy, and believing that we, the ordinary Pinoys, are worth your time, your effort, and your sacrifices.


President Aquino, I know you are in a better place now. Wherever you are, please know that you will always be loved, appreciated, and remembered by every Filipino, whose life you have touched. I hope that God will bless the Philippines with more leaders whose integrity, commitment, and dedication will be like yours. Farewell and thank you President Aquino. God bless you.

*** Note: I have also posted this thank-you message on my personal site on Multiply. :-) ***

No comments:

Post a Comment